Boy, 3, allergic to dairy dies after being fed grilled cheese sandwich at daycare

Elijah Silvera
Share this...
Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

A daycare in Harlem, New York has been shut down after a 3-year-old boy, who was allergic to dairy, died after being fed a grilled cheese sandwich. ABC Action News reports that Elijah Silvera went into an anaphylactic shock on November 3 while at the Seventh Avenue Center for Family Services.

Relatives say that the daycare center was aware that Elijah was allergic to dairy, but despite knowing and documenting that information, an adult at the daycare center allegedly fed him a grilled cheese sandwich while he was playing.

It was purported that Elijah suffered an allergic reaction and was transported to a pediatric emergency room, where he later died.

Following Elijah’s death, the City Health officials ordered the daycare center to be shut down for “failing to follow its written safety plan and failing to adequately supervise a child.”

The spokesperson for NYC’s Health Department, Christopher Miller, said:

“There is nothing more important than the safety of our children and we are deeply saddened by this tragedy.”

“We will get to the bottom of what happened here. In the meantime, we’re closing the Center for Family Services and continuing to aggressively investigate what happened and whether the facility could have done something differently to prevent this tragedy.”

Relatives established a GoFundMe in an effort to cover the cost of Elijah’s funeral and memorial service, food, and his parents’ time off from work.

An investigating into Elijah’s death is ongoing.

[Featured Image: GoFundMe]

Share this...
Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn